Current:Home > NewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Judge rejects Texas lawsuit against immigration policy central to Biden's border strategy -Capitatum
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Judge rejects Texas lawsuit against immigration policy central to Biden's border strategy
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:56:56
A federal judge on PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank CenterFriday dismissed a lawsuit by Republican officials in Texas that sought to shut down a federal program that has allowed hundreds of thousands of migrants to fly to U.S. airports, preserving for now a policy central to the Biden administration's immigration agenda.
The dispute centered on a Biden administration program that allows up to 30,000 migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela to enter the U.S. each month if they have American financial sponsors. Those permitted to fly to the U.S. under the policy have been granted two-year work permits under an immigration authority known as humanitarian parole that President Biden has used at an unprecedented scale.
The Biden administration has argued the policy discourages would-be migrants from those four crisis-stricken countries from journeying to the U.S.-Mexico border and entering the country illegally. The program was announced in January 2023 in conjunction with a bilateral agreement in which Mexico agreed to accept the return of migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela who crossed into the U.S. illegally.
In its lawsuit, Texas said the program bypassed limits Congress set on legal immigration levels and violated the spirit of the parole authority, which it argues should only be used on a limited basis.
But U.S. District Court Judge Drew Tipton ruled Friday that Texas lacked legal standing to sue over the policy because it had failed to show it had "suffered an injury" due to the program. He dismissed the case without ruling on Texas' claims that the federal initiative is illegal.
As of Feb. 8, more than 365,000 Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Venezuelans have arrived under the Biden administration sponsorship policy, according to internal Department of Homeland Security data obtained by CBS News.
Representatives for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, two vocal Republican critics of Mr. Biden's immigration policies, did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Texas can appeal Tipton's order.
The survival of the sponsorship program is a major legal victory for the Biden administration, which has sought to combine legal migration pathways and tighter asylum rules to contain unprecedented levels of migrant crossings along the U.S.-Mexico border, with varying degrees of success.
In a statement Friday, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said "other countries around the world see" the sponsorship initiative "as a model to tackle the challenge of increased irregular migration that they too are experiencing."
The White House also welcomed Tipton's decision.
"The district court's decision is based on the success of this program, which has expanded lawful pathways for nationals from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela who have a sponsor in this country and pass our rigorous vetting process, while dramatically decreasing the number of nationals from those countries crossing our Southwest Border," White House spokesman Angelo Fernández Hernández told CBS News in a statement.
Friday's ruling was also, in many ways, a surprise outcome. Tipton, an appointee of former President Donald Trump, has previously ruled against other Biden administration immigration rules, including a 2021 memo that narrowed the scope of arrests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the U.S. interior. Texas has also been generally successful over the past three years convincing federal district court judges in the state to block Mr. Biden's signature immigration policies.
But Tipton acknowledged in his opinion that illegal entries along the U.S. southern border by migrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela had plunged after the sponsorship program was announced.
Customs and Border Protection statistics indeed show a sharp drop in unlawful border crossings by migrants from Cuba, Haiti and Nicaragua over the past year. Illegal crossings by Venezuelans, however, have fluctuated, sometimes dropping significantly, and at times, spiking, including to a record level late last year. More than 7.7 million Venezuelans have fled the economic collapse and political turmoil in their homeland in recent years, the largest displaced population in the world, according to United Nations figures.
"In conclusion, the Parties agree, and the record reflects, that the number of (Cuban, Haitian, Nicaraguan and Venezuelan) nationals entering the United States has dramatically declined from the date the program commenced," Tipton wrote in his ruling.
Guerline Jozef, executive director of the Haitian Bridge Alliance, a group that serves migrants from Haiti and connects them with U.S. sponsors, applauded Friday's ruling. Jozef called the sponsorship program an "essential" policy for those in "extreme need," including people hoping to escape Haiti, which she noted has been ravaged by gang warfare in recent weeks.
"This is a lifeline for many people in Haiti, in Cuba, in Venezuela, in Nicaragua who otherwise would not have any way of getting here," she said.
- In:
- Biden Administration
- Venezuela
- Nicaragua
- Cuba
- Haiti
- Texas
- Migrants
Camilo Montoya-Galvez is the immigration reporter at CBS News. Based in Washington, he covers immigration policy and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (1)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- US strikes back at Iranian-backed groups who attacked troops in Iraq, Syria: Pentagon
- Ottawa’s Shane Pinto suspended 41 games, becomes the 1st modern NHL player banned for gambling
- Hailey Bieber calls pregnancy rumors 'disheartening'
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Javelinas tore up an Arizona golf course. Now some are arguing about its water use
- NFL should have an open mind on expanding instant replay – but it won't
- North Carolina Republicans put exclamation mark on pivotal annual session with redistricting maps
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Mia Talerico’s Good Luck Charlie Reunion Proves Time Flies
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Britney Spears' Ex Sam Asghari Reacts to Her Memoir Revelation About Their Marriage
- Inflation is driving up gift prices. Here's how to avoid overspending this holiday.
- Rampage in Maine is the 36th mass killing this year. Here's what happened in the others
- Small twin
- The Golden Bachelor Just Delivered 3 Heartbreaking Exits and We Are Not OK
- AP Week in Pictures: Europe and Africa
- Soil removal from Ohio train derailment site is nearly done, but cleanup isn’t over
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
What is Gaza’s Ministry of Health and how does it calculate the war’s death toll?
FBI part of Michigan Police's investigation on fired Michigan football assistant Matt Weiss
Judge in Trump's New York fraud trial upholds $10,000 fine for violating gag order
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Twitter takeover: 1 year later, X struggles with misinformation, advertising and usage decline
A salty problem for people near the mouth of the Mississippi is a wakeup call for New Orleans
Lionel Messi is a finalist for the MLS Newcomer of the Year award